Saturday, November 17, 2007

thing 17 1/2 ... myspace versus facebook: the ultimate smackdown


i am on facebook ... it's okay i guess. maybe i'm just old skool. i like myspace better. i like decorating my profile and adding songs and all that. i even recently joined a group of ministers ordained in the church of spiritual humanism. who wouldn't love this?


but they say facebook is the new myspace. i just don't get it. all my friends are always asking me to take these stupid quizzes and download these applications. some of them are fun but mostly they're lame. i like the graffiti application. that one is fun. i draw very bad but cool graffiti.

see, now i can't even give you the link to see my facebook profile because you have to be my friend in order to see it. whereas with myspace i can show it to anyone. maybe this is to protect my privacy, but i am purposely on a social networking site ... i don't want my privacy protected ... i instead just choose not to post anything too personal or incriminating.

NO ONE MUST KNOW MY SECRET IDENTITY.


anyway ... the two facebook applications i really like are Books iRead and Where I've Been.

sometimes there are patrons who actually know which librarians can recommend books that are good choices for them. for instance, when i worked at a library where people actually read, there was one woman who ONLY wanted book recommendations from me. she trusted no one else. if we were both on facebook she could see which books i like and get her recommendations that way.


i also like where i've been. you have a big map of the world and highlight the places you've been in one color, places you've lived in another color, and places you'd like to go in another color. then you can compare your map to others. this has few library uses, but i still think its cool. i've been SO many places. next continent to conquer: asia.

1 comment:

hood_and_hat said...

I was just telling someone Asia was my next continent to explore.

I'm somewhat partial to MySpace, too. It definitely has a more fun feel.